Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Your Daily Ralph! 7/16/13

Today I have to think about how damned hot it's been lately. For the past three weeks here on Long Island it's been abominable humidity and atrocious heat. To say I'm not a summer person would be an understatement.

As per usual, our spring was a mess and far too short and it led directly into a brutally hot summer. It is now 86 deg. at 10:45 AM as I write this. Ugghh. I live on an Island, Long Island actually. But I'm not a beach lover, never have been. In fact the only beach I've ever really liked is Wildwood in New Jersey. now that's a beach! Half a mile to the water from the street of pure white sand, graded every day by a crew of sand grading machines. A nightlife in the small towns that dot the shoreline, and a boardwalk filled with attractions and rides. To say the least its a fun place. Here on Long Island we have sand. Not much of it either as every year it erodes  more and more and they do nothing to build it back up.

When I was a kid, Smiths Point Park was a rather large beach, now it's a stones throw to the water. I visit it every so often , usually to hear a band playing in one of the cafe's that exist there. They call them cafe's but its really just beach food. Dog's burgers, fries , some seafood, etc.  But sometimes they have a good band playing at those places and you can sit back, if you're lucky enough to grab a table and chair, and enjoy.


Today I'm getting out of here for a while. the pets are fed and I need time away from this keyboard. hot or not it's time to get outside and do something other than hide from the heat. Later today I'll come back and edit a bunch more of the Cagliostro Chronicles which is inching toward release. It's my first foray into sci-fi (for some reason they call it space opera today, to me it'll always be sci-fi). I feel a lot better about this one than I did originally. When I was writing it some months back I kept thinking "What am I doing here?" But I guess I knew, my editor liked it a lot so that makes me happy. Hopefully you will too.

In the meantime I heartily recommend you read both 'Redemption of the Sorcerer' and 'Torahg the Warrior' I think you'll enjoy them both!


No comments:

Post a Comment