Friday, July 12, 2013

Your Daily Ralph~ 7/12/13

Summer Movies- Or can Pacific Rim live up to what I'm expecting of it?


Pacific Rim has intrigued me since this Dark Horse came out of the gates in January when I got the first glimpses of it in trailers and viral marketing. To a kid who grew up on Godzilla movies and who had giant robot toys, this is the holy grail of all films. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one, in fact I'm going to see it twice today. Once at 4:30 with a buddy in imax 3D and once tonight with my brother.

Pacific Rim looks to be every kids dream who read comics and watched the classic Japanese monster movies. Every summer there was a new Japanese import in those days, and my father would happily truck us all to the theater on a Saturday afternoon and sit down to watch these larger than life titans destroying Tokyo and New York and wherever else they wandered.


So jump ahead 40 years, as now with modern technology and CGI we get to see something that was only hinted at in a few old Toho productions> Giant Robots Vs. Giant Monsters! As per usual the so-called reviewers get it wrong while the internet buzz is overwhelmingly positive on this one. the 'critics' are panning it. It annoys me somewhat, because those guys aren't even relative anymore. They don't matter. thanks to the internet. we can get much truer reviews most of the time, even that isn't true 100% of the time (People hated the Green Lantern movie only because it starred Ryan Reynolds, no other reason. The same goes for Battleship. they judged it before it came out and because it was based on a board game. Meanwhile it was great!)

Anyway, in a summer that already gave us the dreadful 'Iron Man 3' and the Super 'Man of Steel', I'm really hoping that 'Pacific Rim' hits it out of the park this weekend. I've been waiting for this one for a long time, seemingly my whole life!

                                                                                 
                                                                   COMING SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment