Monday, November 11, 2013

Your Daily Ralph ~ Anger against the trolls

A few weeks back I ran a rant against kickstarter programs for novels. It's one of my pet peeves. The original post can be found here:
http://dominatr37.blogspot.com/2013/10/your-daily-ralph-my-rant-against.html?showComment=1384201466107#c118655899585420529

I noticed there was a comment on there today that I looked at and as per usual with the internet, there was a reply from someone hiding behind a fake identity lambasting me for my comments. And of course his reply ended up in a personal attack. It figures. This is exactly what I expected to get when I wrote the post. I did not write anything inflammatory, I simply laid out why I am against kickstarters for novels and why I won't participate in them. Now if the man hiding behind his keyboard would have made his case respectfully I would have had no problem with his reply, but he had to throw a jab in there at the end. With that he lost any credibility he might have had. He claims to have never heard of me and that's all well and good, but no one knows who he is because he's hiding behind a fake name. He claims that kickstarters are good for publicity. Really???  THAT'S what he's counting on for publicity??? There are a hell of a lot of better ways to get noticed than to beg others for money for a novel that you're too impatient to wait until you have the money out of pocket to publish.

But of course doing a publicity campaign the right way requires a couple of dollars, and this guy would just end up starting another kickstarter  to pay for his advertising costs.

Again as I said in my original post, I can see the use of kickstarters in regards to comic or movie projects (Veronica Mars kickstarter raised ten million dollars to produce a movie based on the old TV show) which are MUCH more expensive. But a novel? No.

Sorry "Kermito" but your argument lacks merit. Especially since you added a jab in there at me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment