Saturday, March 30, 2013

James Palmer Interview

James Palmer Interview

Hi and welcome to another edition of ‘Ralph’s Rants does Interviews’. Our guest this week is none other than James Palmer author and guiding force behind such books as the ‘Monster Earth’ Anthology. Hello James and Welcome.


So what made you decide to become a writer?
I’m not sure it was any one thing. I’ve wanted to be a writer since I was a teenager, and probably long before then, as I’ve always loved using my imagination and making worlds in my head.

How long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing professionally since 2000, starting off with articles and reviews. From there, I migrated into business journalism and then copywriting. Now I’m back to fiction.


Judging from your resume, your stories seem to have a sci-fi bent to them. Is Sci-Fi your favorite medium?

I’d say science fiction is definitely my preferred medium, but it’s not all I write in. I also enjoy weird horror and steampunk, and I’ve written alternate history, adventure, superhero pulp, and weird western fiction.


Who is your favorite character to write so far? Is it one you created or an existing character?
My favorite existing character so far I can’t reveal just yet, because the book containing my story isn’t out yet. I also wrote a story for Barry Reese’s The Rook, but I created my own Rook for that one. My favorite character of my own creation so far is probably Sam Eldritch, Occult Investigator for Hire. He’s a 30’s era private eye whose partner was killed by a demon and granted the ability to see the ghosts and monsters lurking just under the veil of every day reality.

What era do you prefer to write in? The future, the past or the present?

I like future and near future, but the past can also be fun. I find that the past and even the present require a bit more research. The hardest thing to me about writing most pulp is researching what a place you’ve never been was like in 1932.

What are you favorite type of characters to write? Strong men? Strong Women? Average Joe’s who have to step up and do the extraordinary?

Probably average Joes. I like exploring what makes a hero a hero, taking a person who has no heroic qualities and then putting them in a situation where they have to step up and be the hero because there’s no one else who will do it.


Let’s discuss Mechanoid Press, your own imprint. What made you decide to go that route?

It’s just the natural progression of a writer these days. Since I’m going to be at least partially publishing my own stuff myself, I knew I needed an imprint. It looks better than having your books on Amazon say “published by: Createspace” or something. And while I was going that far, I figured I might as well put out anthologies and publish other writers.

So far Monster earth is on Mechanoid Press, what other upcoming books do you have coming out on your label?

In the works right now are a weird western anthology, as well as an e-book only trio of robot-themed stories called Robot Stories, featuring tales by Joel Jenkins and James R. Tuck (author of the Deacon Chalk Occult Bounty Hunter series). I’m also working on a series of weird west short stories that I plan on releasing individually. Then of course there’s Monster Earth 2 coming at the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

When do you work best as far as writing/editing/creating? At night or during the day?

Well, I have a family and a day job, so I don’t always get to create when it is most conducive. But I’ve carved out a schedule that works well enough for me. I write on my lunch hour, and the odd Saturday or Sunday. And when I’m not at the keyboard, I’m usually thinking about what I’m going to write or create next.

What do you consider to be your greatest attribute as a writer?

That’s a great question. I’ve never been asked that before. I think my greatest attribute as a writer is the greatest attribute of any writer: the willingness to keep on pushing ahead, to never, ever quit no matter what obstacles are placed in our way.

Who has influenced your writing the most?

There’s been so many, even if I don’t write what they do they way they do. Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, Charles Stross, Cory Doctorow. Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft are probably my biggest pulp influences. I really admire Kevin J. Anderson’s work ethic and they way he treats writing as a business.

Any projects that you want to plug here, past or present, feel free.

In addition to Monster Earth, I also have some solo e-books. Slow Djinn http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Djinn-ebook/dp/B008ZI2BV0/ is the first in what I hope will be a series of urban fantasy, Lovecraftian noir tales about a private eye named Sam Eldritch. I also have a short collection of four weird horror stories called Four Terrors: Weird Horror Tales, collecting some of my previously published work in that genre. http://www.amazon.com/Four-Terrors-Horror-Stories-ebook/dp/B0085MQV08/

I also have a story in Van Allen Plexico’s Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars (http://www.amazon.com/Blackthorn-Thunder-Van-Allen-Plexico/dp/0984139265/) which is kind of a Thundaar the Barbarian on Mars, and was a lot of fun to write.

I’ve got a lot more stuff coming, so stay tuned. People can check out my website at www.jamespalmerbooks.com, www.mechanoidpress.com, or find me on Facebook. I’m also on Twitter @palmerwriter and @mechanoidpress.

James thanks for joining us it was a pleasure talking to you. And thank YOU readers for joining us. We’ll be back before you know it with another ‘Ralph’s Rants does interviews’

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting interview! Glad to learn more about James and his work.

    ReplyDelete