Saturday, October 18, 2014

Your daily Ralph- Content


 

Content

 

 

 


So I was messing around with Goodeads.com the other night, updating stuff, and I usually stay off of goodreads. I have a notorious hate/hate relationship with that site. I do not like the readers there. Many there are pompous asses and wannabe writers as far as I’m concerned. They get a big thrill out of shooting down authors books there, for the most part. The average reader there thinks they work for the NY Times book review or something. They are horrific for the most part, and get a big thrill out of trashing someone’s novel. So I do not spend much time on goodreads at all.

But while I was there I did a few things on my very seldom used authors page there that I started almost two years ago. I came upon a question about writers block and how I get past it. My answer is I do not get it, which is true. There may be times when I just don’t feel like writing,. But that does not mean I’m blocked. Most of the time I can pick up and write just fine, wherever I am, as long as I have the proper content.

Content is huge. It is just something that cannot be underestimated. It may seem like I’m being arbitrary about this, but believe me I’m not. You have to know where you are going with a story, and you have to know what happens in-between that is the kicker. It’s like saying ‘I drove from New York to California.’ Or instead saying ‘I started in New York and drove though New Jersey where we stopped at a diner off of I-80 for breakfast. Then we continued west for five more hours, before stopping at the Quaker Steak and Lube. We had the hottest wings I’ve ever tasted there, wow! They were awesome! After lunch we continued on and after about ten hours of riding we stopped for the night in Ohio at a really cool hotel. We parked in an indoor lot and had a great steak dinner that night along with a couple of libations before calling it a night. That was the end of day one on our cross country trip.’ 

Do you see what I’m talking about? There’s a big difference between the two accounts. The reason is the content of the second account. Content makes a story flow and garners interest, after all, you have to be interested in what you are writing as much as what the reader will be reading.

So writers block may be something that has more to do with what you want to say, and the way you get that content across. It’s sort of all about not reading between the lines, but filling in the blanks that happen there.



As always all of my own books are available at http://RLAngeloJr.com or http://tinyurl.com/ralphsamazon

 

 

Subscribe to my blog! Click on the link at the top of the right hand column to get my daily rants delivered to your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment